Thursday, September 28, 2017

Old stuff

I went to my 50th high school reunion a few weeks ago (yes, I'm that old.  My birth stone is coal...)   It was interesting to see people I hadn't seen in 30 years (I went to the 20th,) some I hadn't seen in 50.  I wasn't the fattest, nor the most bald.  With all my health issues, some had some far worse than mine.  A few looked astoundingly close to the same as they looked 50 years ago, albeit more mature.  We all acted more mature.

They had a tour of the high school.  It is more like a university now.  It is the largest high school in the state (2951 students,) plus it draws from a very diverse group of public, magnet and private schools. Only two classroom buildings and the gym remain from the original construction.  Those classroom buildings will be replaced next year.  The gym will get a new floor and is newly air conditioned.  Very few things to reminisce about - so much is new.  Change is inevitable, I certainly wouldn't want improvements to stop for our education system.  I don't consider the indoctrination being forced onto our students today to be an improvement.  I don't begrudge change...but it doesn't help my mood to compare what I am now to what I was just a few years ago.  They say getting old beats the alternative.  I don't know since I haven't have the opportunity to make a comparison.  I don't know anyone who has.

Speaking of getting old, the NFL debacle is waaaay beyond that.  Kaepernick started it with a false narrative about the BLM thugs.  He wanted to go free agent, so they set him free.  The catch was that he was toxic and no one wants him.  Too bad.  He also wasn't nearly as good at quarterback as he thought. This is NOT a first amendment discussion.  All of these displays are being performed in a private venue.  The government hasn't been involved.  DJT has made a comment, but contrary to the uninformed liberals, he isn't the government, hasn't passed any legislation (he can't; neither can the republicans, apparently) and although some people don't like it, he doesn't care.  Neither do I.

These demonstrations are a violation of NFL rules. Said rules specify that the players stand and face the flag, holding their helmet in their left hand while the anthem plays.

 So are "exuberant displays in the end zone".  Tim Tebow's kneeling to pray was considered an "exuberant display".  Darryl Beckham's lifting his leg as if he was pissing on the goalpost was not.  Hypocrisy much?  The players (making millions) are employees of the team owners who could stop it in a minute.  They have decided they would rather permit disgraceful displays than to say a word.  I watch very little pro football. I've never been to an NFL game.) I watch very little college football.  I do watch college basketball, but I'm not a true fanatic.)  So the NFL won't miss the little bit of viewership that I will no longer contribute.  I did watch the Superbowl; like many, more for the commercial spots than the game. The last one turned into an interesting game for a change.  There a lot of true NFL fans who feel the same way I do.  As far as I can tell most of the people who have come out in support for these poor, oppressed multimillionaires generally don't watch and are unlikely to watch any more now.  Since the ratings have fallen into the basement, the next round of contract negotiations might be revealing.  Some players are now proclaiming that these actions are not "demonstrations against the country or the flag".  Really?  So why do it during the anthem?  Why not do it at the kickoff?  Or at the coin flip?  The anthem is played to demonstrate unity of fans and players and to honor the flag and musical symbol of our country.  The anthem is not a symbol of the police; for that matter it is not a symbol of the government, but of freedom and the people of this country.  They stick a middle finger into the air towards the people.  They can do so in an empty stadium and to a blank TV screen.

I am a strong proponent of capitalism and the free market.  The players have been able to extract what many (myself included) consider to be exorbitant salaries for tossing a ball around and doing what would be considered assault outside the stadium.  Does their contribution to society exceed that of public school teachers?  Hardly.  However, public school teachers are supported by taxes extracted by government; players are private employees.  This might be an opportunity for the public to wake up and see that those $300 Sunday ticket subscriptions might be better spent subsidizing the schools. Or donated to any number of needing agencies.  Money talks.  Tell the schools what you think with your dollars.  School boards and administrators might also respond.

I started writing this blog as a cathartic release.  Sometimes it is.  Other times not so much.  There are few viewers (thank you to those who do read it) so I don't know if it would be noticed - much less missed - if I were to stop.  Jerry Pournelle stopped his the other day.  Jerry was the inventor of the "blog" though he hated the term.  His was the first daily journal on the internet.  He was a true pioneer of computing, of science and libertarian thought, of many, many things.  He only stopped because he passed away.  I certainly miss him.

Maybe I'll return.

till then, I'll be hunting.

ciao

the Snark


No comments:

Post a Comment